The 2018 MATHCOUNTS Manhattan Chapter Competition will be held on Saturday, February 3, 2018 at Baruch Performing Arts Center.
- 8:15 – 8:45 Arrival & Check-In
- 9:00 – 9:45 Sprint Round
- 9:55 – 10:35 Target Round
- 10:50 – 11:20 Team Round
- 11:30 – 12:40 Lunch
- 12:45 – 1:30 Math Talk, speaker to be announced
- 1:30 – 2:30 Countdown Round
- 2:30 – 3:00 Award Ceremony
For schools with students who cannot participate on Saturdays due religious observances, arrangements have been made to offer the written portion of the competition on a weekday.
- Round Details:
- 1. Sprint (40 minutes): Students work independently to solve 30 problems. Calculators are not permitted.
- 2. Target: Students work independently to solve 8 problems presented in 4 pairs (6 minutes per pair). Calculators are permitted.
- 3. Team (20 minutes): 10 problems that team members work together to solve. Calculators are permitted. Students not on a school’s official team of 4 (“Individuals”) participate in the Team Round together on an unofficial basis for fun.
- 4. Countdown: Fast-paced, oral competition for the top 16 individuals (based on Sprint and Target Rounds). Calculators are not permitted. Our chapter conducts an “unofficial” Countdown Round, meaning that the Countdown Round does not determine an individual’s overall rank. Separate prizes are awarded for Countdown Round winners.
The top 3 teams of 4 students (plus one alternate per school) and top 2 students not on an advancing team move on to participate in the New York State MATHCOUNTS competition in March in the Albany area. Some years, our chapter is able to advance additional teams and individuals.
Winning students from the State competition receive an all expense paid trip to the 2018 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Competition in Washington, D.C.
Click here for more information on registering your school for the upcoming chapter competition.